Monday, 5 December 2011

Real-time Biometeorology


My professional experience is associated with bio-meteorological and the monitoring of carbon, water and energy dynamics within terrestrial ecosystems. “Biometeorology is an interdisciplinary science studying the interactions between atmospheric processes and living organisms - plants, animals and humans.” (International Society of Biometeorology- http://www.biometeorology.org/what_is_bm/index.cfm, Accessed Dec 1 2011). In order to understand these relationships scientists have collaborated with public and private individuals/institutions to establish research sites within major biomes around the globe. Local, regional and national ecological interpretations are possible through these networks and serve to assist decision-makers. The Canadian Carbon Program monitors long-term carbon dynamics within Canada using a network of Eddy Covariance flux stations, which are strategically placed within major ecosystems across Canada.


           http://www.fluxnet-canada.ca/home.php?page=home&setLang=en

             I am currently working on two Eddy Covariance flux stations located in St.Albert, Alberta and Winnipeg, Manitoba. These two experimental stations monitor hybrid poplar plantations, which sequester carbon, secure fiber high quality fiber and provide wildlife habitat. Although frequent site visits are required for maintenance, these sites utilize cellular signals to retrieve data in “real-time”.  This feature allows researchers to show other researchers, politicians and the public real-time data from any site across North American.
           
            Biomet is a group of researchers and technicians at the University of British Columbia who, with my help, maintain and retrieve data from the two flux stations above. Often, while I am at the site Biomet folks are able to describe the environmental characteristics of the site, (wind speed, radiation (sunny, not sunny), precipitation) 1500 Km away. If I am on the phone, they can tell when a cloud is above the station and when it has passed (very cool). Biomet also maintains and collects data from various other sites including the weather station at the Vancouver International Airport, posting weekly/month data on their webpage, accessible to the public. The data available on their webpage is not in real-time, but I know there is interest in changing that fact.

St. Albert, Alberta

 Winnipeg, Manitoba


            It really blows my mind that these sorts of real-time features are possible over such great distances. In an age where instant access thought the Internet is demanded, scientific initiatives like the one undertaken by Biomet will become more popular. Although Biomet utilizes this cellular system they also have data storage on-site to backup any losses and hiccups associated with the wireless method. The fact remains that wireless communications are not always reliable and that is why I am always weary to trust wireless communication (Internet, Cellular), because of its intermittent nature. I understand wireless communication is invaluable, but it should be used strictly as a peripheral tool, not a foundation.

Jasmine Gill- The Digital Takeover  highlights the increasing initiatives by government to integrate technology into youth education, along with the increased technological requirements in the workplace. I think these initiatives are enhancing our society, but if people choose to become dependant on these technological tools I believe they will fall into the ‘technology trap’.

No comments:

Post a Comment