Thursday, 15 September 2011

BioBlog

I am originally from Alexis First Nation located in the county of Lac St. Anne, approximately 75 km west of Edmonton. I graduated from Onoway Jr/Sr High School in 2006 at which time I entered the BSc. Environmental and Conservational Sciences program at the University of Alberta. Throughout my academic and field training my main interests have been energy and water dynamics within terrestrial ecosystems. Outside of school and work I enjoy the outdoors, sports, guitar and family/pets (Cats, but i'm not allowed to have one).

Since May 2010 I have been working with Natural Resources Canada, at the Northern Forestry Centre Edmonton, Alberta. My work involves gathering biometric data from hybrid poplar plantations using forest measurement techniques and biometeorlogical instrumentation. This work is done in collaboration with many technicians and researchers from University of British Columbia, therefore communication through email, phone and physical conversation are crucial to managing collaborative efforts.

Data collected and the associated findings are usually published in peer reviewed journals or reports, available to the public. In my field these publications may assist land managers/agencies make their operations more sustainable. Knowing how to publish these findings to others through various media is an invaluable tool to have, and I hope to become more involved in these sorts of publications. I believe having strong communication skills can really help individual's lead and participate effectively in any environment. If all goes well I will be attending University of British Columbia in the 2012 winter semester to continue my work, where social media and networking will become even more prominent in my personal and work life.  

My First Blog-

Ta Ta for now,

Hughie Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment